Mold: A Hazard to Health and Home
When discussing mold damage, it’s important to understand that it primarily affects two major categories of your life:
- The personal, physical health of yourself and your family
- The physical structure of your home
Both, things you no doubt would like to protect at all cost!
Here is the good news. If detected and treated early, mold can typically be removed and/or remediated with few negative effects on yourself or your property. So, you should definitely contact a mold specialist as soon as you even suspect that you may have an infestation.
How Do I Know If I Have Mold?
Mold can grow just about anywhere, but it typically thrives in warm, humid, or moist environments It can also sometimes be found in drier environments that have poor ventilation or airflow.
It is commonly found both indoors and outdoors – typically around places such as:
Health Effects of Mold Exposure
Not all mold is toxic. However, most mold can be at the very least bothersome, irritating, and potentially harmful. Also, prolonged exposure can lead to more and more serious health complications.
Some of the known and potential health effects related to prolonged mold exposure include
Home Damage Due To Mold
If mold is detected and treated early enough, the damage to your home (and your pocketbook) may be minimized. The reason for this is because mold often begins to form on the structure’s surface. As time goes by it spreads and penetrates deeper into the surface.
Take a wall, or a floor, for example…
Mold may subtly start to form on your wallpaper or in your carpet, which can safely & easily be removed with non-invasive techniques. However, if left untreated, it can get into the supporting structures of your wall or floor such as the drywall, studs, or subfloor – as the case may be. If this happens, the treatment of the mold infestation just went from a fairly inexpensive surface removal to a more complex and expensive demolition and reconstruction project.
In this case, the extent and cost of the repairs can vary greatly!
For example, if the damage is limited to a small section of a nonbearing wall – easy peasy – you just remove the infected section and replace it for aesthetics. You may be talking about hundreds of dollars for this type of work, but still relatively inexpensive in the grand scheme of things.
BUT, what if the damage is to a bearing wall or some other structurally important element of your home? Now, you could be talking about thousands or TENS of thousands of dollars to restore your dwelling to a safe, liveable environment.
Due to the potential threats to your health and home, we recommend you contact a trusted mold specialist at the earliest sign of mold infestation.
Why risk it? Have your home professionally inspected and treated today!